In a series of eight meetings facilitated by the Small Business Technology Development Center (SBTDC) in November and December 2012, UNC asked business leaders and economic developers across the state how campuses could most effectively help them and their regions grow and thrive over the next five years. Following is an overall summary of ideas and areas of emphasis.
· UNC needs to do a better job communicating relevant information with organizations in the community while concurrently working to make its resources (e.g. research, expertise, intellectual property, equipment, talks/conferences) more accessible.
-Consider different communication media; podcasts, personal phone call, social media
-Push out relevant information related to university resources
· UNC needs to serve as a talent pipeline for business, providing a well-trained job ready workforce.
-Promote internships and experiential education
· UNC needs to forge stronger, more prismatic relationships with the communities that they serve
-Executive speaker series
-Faculty meet with promising startups — “dating”
-Ongoing co-ops, internships and applied research
· Continue to develop continuing education and methods for experience/competency to degree transfer for a broader demographic.
· Work with businesses to develop industry specific courses and certifications.
· UNC needs to focus on translating research into solutions for community and business needs.
-Streamline intellectual property transfer and speed up commercialization
· Focus on developing deep expertise—each university should be the best in the world at one thing.
· Continue to support and expand key community resources (e.g. applied research/rapid prototyping centers, industry conferences).
· Invest in strategic growth areas and clusters (e.g. multi-university aerospace program).
· Promote more UNC- industry partnerships for government research.
· Blur the lines between the university, community, business and the community colleges.
· Work with business leaders to develop deeper and more sustainable partnerships.
Developing Next Generation Leaders: Center for Creative Leadership and NC Businesses (Download pdf)
All Summaries (Download pdf)
AdvantageWest Economic Development Group Summary (Download pdf)
Charlotte Regional Partnership Summary (Download pdf)
Eastern Regional Partnership Summary (Download pdf)
Hickory Regional Meeting Summary (Download pdf)
Northeast Commission Summary (Download pdf)
Piedmont Triad Regional Partnership Summary (Download pdf)
Research Triangle Regional Partnership Summary (Download pdf)
Southeast Regional Partnership Summary (Download pdf)