GEAR UP North Carolina Overview
GEAR UP stands for “Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs” and is a national college access initiative funded by the U.S. Department of Education. As a state grantee, GEAR UP NC implements the following program model serving students, families, and educators from 2012-19. For the GEAR UP NC Map Card, click here.
- Four cohorts of students in target schools starting with the 7th graders and following them through high school graduation and into the 1st year of postsecondary education. Cohorts of 7th grade students begin in 2012-13, 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16.
- 12th grade students annually in target schools, serving students through high school graduation and into the 1st year of postsecondary education.
- Statewide dissemination of college access information.
Services, Goals & Objectives
GEAR UP NC provides the following data-driven college access services, based on need, to students, their families, and educators in target schools. These services are tied directly to GEAR UP NC goals and objectives using the GEAR UP NC Database. For more information on required services, click here.
- academic tutoring
- career exploration
- college match advising
- college visits
- college info workshops
- enrichment programs
- financial aid workshops
- postsecondary services
- professional development
- Spanish services
Goal, Objectives, and Performance Measures
GEAR UP NC's goal is to significantly increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education. The national goals and project objectives that drive the GEAR UP North Carolina project are as follows:
- Increase academic performance and preparation for postsecondary education.
- Increase the percentage of students taking and successfully completing the following courses: Pre-Algebra by the end of 8th grade, Algebra I by the end of 9th grade, and two years of math beyond Algebra I by the end of 12th grade. Increase the percentage of students who have knowledge of and demonstrate academic preparation for college and who enroll in college without the need for remedial coursework.
- Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in postsecondary education.
- Decrease the high school dropout rate. Increase the high school graduation rate, the average daily attendance rates at middle schools and high schools, the percentage of students who apply, enroll, and succeed in college, the percentage of students who are on track to graduate from college.
- Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge of postsecondary education options, preparation, and financing.
- Increase students' and families' knowledge and active engagement in the preparation of students for postsecondary education.
GEAR UP North Carolina is a federally funded grant program (P334S120003) and statewide partnership administered by University of North Carolina General Administration.
For more information, visit the national GEAR UP program.