UNC SERVES Chairs:
Ann Marie Beall, UNC-Wilmington
Thomas Conway, Fayetteville State University
Steve Duncan, East Carolina University
Questions for the UNC SERVES Working Group:
How are UNC campuses currently serving active service members, veterans and their families?
What are the accepted best practices for serving these students?
What can the University reasonably do to improve access to, retention and graduation of active service member and veteran students?
What are metrics of success for the University in serving these students?
Charge for the UNC SERVES Working Group
Report and Recommend to the President of the University:
- Evaluation of current state of military and veteran affairs on UNC campuses
- Institutional, systemwide, and state/federal statutory policy changes, regulations and/or guidelines to improve access, retention and the graduation of active service members, veterans and their families on UNC campuses
- Institutional and systemwide best practices to improve access, retention and the graduation of active service members, veterans, and their families on UNC campuses
- Opportunities for institutional and systemwide improvement
Factors for the UNC SERVES Working Group
- Diversity of campuses, including size, capacity, and number of active service members, veterans, and their families
- Constrained resources – Consider all options but prioritize no cost, low cost recommendations
- Return on investment
- Costs should accompany each recommendation, if possible
«««««««« Committees «««««««
UNC SERVES Committee I: ACCESS
Admissions, Financial Aid, Enrollment, Residency,Orientation, Marketing, Recruitment,
Communication, Institutional Reporting, Yellow Ribbon Program, Transfer of General Ed Credit,
UNC SERVES Committee II: ACADEMIC SERVICES
Transition, Academic Counseling, Degree Relevancy, Communication,
Adaptable Course Offerings,
Distance Education, Separation & Readmission, Base Education Centers, Ft. Bragg “One-Stop Center,” Transfer of Departmental Credit
UNC SERVES Committee III: SUPPORT SERVICES AND OUTREACH
Veteran Student Life, Disability Services, Health and Wellness,Commu
nication, Community Engagement, Dept. of Veterans Affairs Relations, ROTC Engagement, Campus Engagement
UNC SERVES Committee IV: STRATEGIC PLANNING
Military Relations, "UNC Online,” Marketing, Institutional Planning, Communication,
Community College Collaboration, Statutory changes, Independent College & University Collaboration
UNC SERVES RESOURCES:
For more information on UNC SERVES and the UNC Partnership for National Security, please visit uncserves.northcarolina.edu.