University of North Carolina - General Administration
Title: Printing and Duplicating
Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual
1. The University of North Carolina-General Administration Purchasing Office has a $25,000 delegation of authority to procure printing and duplication services through the following:
- NC Correction Enterprises, NC State Term Contract 001A, should be used for printing requirements. UNC GA has an approved and established template for business cards and letterheads. Submit a purchase requisition including FRS account number, requested card content (name, title, email address, phone numbers), and person(s) authorized to proof.
- Per Statute, State Agencies may utilize an outside printer via the normal written bid and quotation procedures if Correction Enterprises quality or price is not acceptable. UNC GA Purchasing will submit a Request for Quotation (RFQ) to vendors for a specific print job. After review of the responses, UNC GA can award the job to the vendor offering the best price and service.
2. All printing jobs in excess of $24,999.99 must be requested on a UNC GA requisition form. The requisition will be verified for accuracy, funds availability and be forwarded to the Purchase and Contract Division of the Department of Administration in Raleigh, NC for processing. The estimated processing time will take from 30 to 75 days, depending on the job's complexity, from the date the requisition is received by the Purchase and Contract Division.
3. Requesting departments should always attach a sample document to the Printing and Duplicating requisition submitted to Purchasing.
4. All printing and duplicating requests under $25,000 will be processed by NC Correction Enterprises and are requested with a purchase requisition form and forwarded to the UNC GA Purchasing Office for processing.
- Departments should adequately describe the printing requests on the requisition form.
- Some examples of common printing specifications are as follows:
-Item description (book, form, pamphlet etc.)
-Paper Specification (recycled, size, weight, color, perforated, punched)
- The Department Head or Supervisor must approve (sign) the request form.
- The Purchasing Officer will solicit request for quotations from outside printers on a standard UNC GA Request for Quotation form.
- The vendors will reply in writing to UNC GA with their bid/quote on the print job by the date specified on the RFQ form.
- The Purchasing Officer will prepare a purchase order to award the print job to the vendor that offers the best price and service.
- The purchase order will be encumbered in FRS
5. General Printing Guidance from the Purchase and Contract Division:
- It is the policy of the State of North Carolina to encourage the use of recycled products. Whenever a public document that is published by an agency of the State is printed on recycled paper, the document shall contain a printed statement of symbol indicating that the document was printed on recycled paper.
- To the extent possible, reports should be printed on both sides of the paper.
6. Every agency of the State publishing a public document, other than one published for the principal purpose of sale to the public, should have the following statement to be printed adjacent to the identification of the agency responsible foe the publication:
"(Number of copies) copies of this public document were printed at a cost of $..... or $..... per copy."